Sunday 13 December 2009

A Charlie Brown Christmas

My last hope to pick up a couple of much needed items for the house was to venture far out to the new Home Depot. I felt like I took the easy road by going there, but I wasn't able to source a bathroom fan, a brass drain cover, wire cutters, and the allusive shelf liner.

Though not far in distance, it does take awhile to get there given you transfer to another bus and depend upon the kindness of strangers for help. In PV, I have always found that kindness abounds and help to the "lost gringo" comes quickly.


Once I arrived, it took me about 2 hours to locate all the items I needed. The things you learn when you are in another country regarding the particular ways of doing things. The old saying of "never assume" is a good thing to keep in mind. For instance, spray paint doesn't come with the spray nozzle. This you have ask for from the cashier (el cajero). I wonder how many people (like myself) leave the store having forgot to ask.  Oh well.  But I was able to check off all the items on my list except for that shelf paper. Add that to Robbie's list when he comes down.

When approaching the Home Depot, I couldn't help but notice the line up of Christmas trees. As pictured, they were a little on the dry side. So dry, that when I walked by the little breeze created caused the needles to cascade off. I can only imagine the look on someone's face when they arrive home only to find what appears to be a fence pole on the roof of their car instead of a symbol of the holidays. The poinsettia weren't faring much better.



No comments:

Post a Comment