Saturday 19 December 2009

Hair Cut



Easy huh? At least it is back home. But when a language barrier exists, the simplest of everyday tasks can be challenging.  It had been about 5 weeks since I last had my hair cut and given that I would normally have it cut every 3, it was getting pretty long and a bit wild looking. I was beginning to look like those ex-pats that run to Mexico to escape from something. Don't think I am quite ready for a pony tail or dreadlocks. 


After securing a recommendation from my friend Alfredo, I ventured out to find the barber shop. Only about 5 blocks from the house, I found it without a problem. I arrived at 2:15...and of coarse it was closed. Though most shops are open all day and into the evening, several adhere to closing at 2:00 and reopening at 4:00 and staying open until 8:00 pm.  Happy to come back the next day, I arrived at 10:30 and asked for a haircut (Quiero un corte de pelo). His response,  corto o medio? (Short or medium?) I thought it was best to go medium. Turned out to be a wise choose.  His only comment was, "Su peol es muy largo y grueso" (Your hair is very long and thick). I wasn't sure what "grueso" meant; my hope was  it didn't mean "greasy". 


It was a fun adventure and the price was right, $60 pesos...roughly $4.65 USD. 

No comments:

Post a Comment